Tuesday, December 8, 2009

All He Was Saying....


Today, if you haven't heard is the 29th anniversary of John Lennon's death. Had he lived, he would have been 69 this past October.

I just cannot bring myself to write about it.... It still is like a raw wound. I no longer cry when I hear Beatles songs on the radio, but I could not listen to them for years and years. I gave away/sold all my Beatle albums, the Capitol ones, the Apple ones, even the Butcher Cover Album I had. By the time I fell in love with John and Paul- they had long since broken up- but the sweetness was still there. First slow dance with a guy- at a cousin's Bar Mitzvah. The song was "If I fell". My first real kiss with a guy- the kind with tongue- the song on the radio was "You're gonna to loose that girl".

I still recall that night he died, clear as crystal. One of the few memories I still have that wasn't destroyed. Studying for an final exam in American History. Listening to either WMMR or WYSP. Freaking out when the female DJ went on air and freaked out.
Running down the hall to find someone, anyone in the dorm still up with a TV.

Taking the exam and seeing the prof with a black band around his arm. The whole college crying. Going into the city 24 hours later... and hanging out in front of the Dakota along with all the other fans, crying so hard I put out my candle thrice.

I cannot write anymore, I will not be journeying to Strawberry Fields this year.The Gothamist has some nice background story and where to hear tributes.

I don't know if there is a Heaven, but I hope, where ever John Lennon is, he is playing guitar with George and all the other rockers. Thank you John for your music.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I am distressed, I sometimes find that "Hey Jude" and/or "Let It Be", played over and over again, can calm me. Same with "Blackbird". I was not even born when John Lennon was alive, yet something in the lyrics can reach across generations.

What a gift. What a loss.

Littlewolf, with tears in her eyes.

susan said...

Oh LIttlewolf!" Hey Jude" is a remarkable song, as is "Let it Be."

It amazes me how many songs we love were written by the Beatles.

Ana said...

I remember as if yesterday the day he died.
R.I.P. John!
I added Yoko at Tweet.
:)

Syd said...

John was my favorite Beatle. I also remember when I heard about his murder. Very sad indeed.

Anonymous said...

My sister was a huge fan I became one later as I was a 'rocker'.

I too love John Lennon a true genius I have yet to hear 'Imagine' without tears in my eyes.

Jason Antoniewicz said...

A big Beatles fan here, too. All popular musicians today - all - owe so much to The Beatles.

Take your pick from their catalogue, but 'A Day in the Life' and 'Tomorrow Never Knows' are personal favourites of mine. Breathtaking.

Related Posts with Thumbnails