Friday, December 2, 2011

Psych Drugs and Foster Kids- Part Two and Three

Again, last night, (December 1, 2011) Diane Saywer presented part two of her news report on foster children and psychological drugs. (ETA: Part three added after this post was published, and aired December 2,).








Gianna Kali brings up one very good point in her blog. 

And of course this is exactly true and people like Jim Gottstein and the organization PsychRights has worked at passing legislation that might protect children. Given that medicare/medicaid is not supposed to cover medications uses that are off-label, the argument has been made that reimbursement is fraud. We have a ways to go.

So does Bob Fiddaman-
Senators and congressmen take note: The root of this problem is The Diagnostic and Senators and congressmen take note: The root of this problem is The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders [DSM]. Once you see how utterly ridiculous the "illnesses" are, you will be able to understand why tax payers are being ripped off at the expense of the welfare and safety of children. You want to eradicate the problem, then go to the root cause and ask the authors of the DSM for scientific proof. It's a manual that is basically a licence to print money for the pharmaceutical industry.

Children deserve a childhood. They don't deserve this, foster children or not. If children are our future, lets make their future bright. Give them love, tell them they are important, they matter.

For the record, I was adopted from a foster home when I was 8 months old. I have the best mom and dad a child could want. Yes, I did not always get the best toys, but I got lots of love, and my parents paid a lot of attention to both my sister and I. I think we turned out OK. My sister is a beautiful girl, very successful in her career. Both of my parents children are highly educated because this is what they wanted us to have- what they didn't. A college/uni degree.

I have been having nightmares over this issue for the last two days- I will not write about my foster home now- it's not salient. But I know this much. I most likely would have been one of those babies given drugs to keep me quiet and sleep.

Part Three airs tonight.

4 comments:

Duane Sherry said...

Susan,

Gottstein's work is against Medicaid fraud (with children), but it looks like government officials are finally going after Medicare fraud as well(with elderly)... in nursing homes -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/govt-inspector-says-penalties-needed-to-curb-use-of-psychiatric-drugs-in-nursing-homes/2011/11/30/gIQAfEFLDO_story.html

There's a lot of crime going on out there - both Medicaid and Medicare... Hopefully, enough people will stand up and say, "Enough."

Duane

Fid said...

Thanks for the shout out Susan.

Duane Sherry said...

Bob Fiddaman,

Thank you for all of your "shout-outs"... and especially for your support of the three mothers out there - Rossa, Stephany, Becky!

Thank you for all you've done, and continue to do!

Duane Sherry

susan said...

Duane- thank you for the link to Jim Gottstein's work. Also regarding Medicaid and Medicare - Bloomberg news has a story about drugging the elderly in nursing homes today that should make angry. What are the baby boomers going to do against this one?

Fiddy- thank you. I agree with Duane- thank you for helping those mothers, and all the other mothers you have written about who's children can not advocate for themselves anymore.

Related Posts with Thumbnails